Carefully designing and testing a product or service so that it can be built and delivered by reasonable people at reasonable cost is critical to market success.
Common principles of engineering include:
- Over-engineer for safety. Make it far stronger than would normally be considered as necessary.
- Use proven and tested components.
- Focus on the completeness of the design.
- Test rigorously and objectively.
- Complete a sufficient portion of the design before beginning construction.
- Make sure that the design can be built reliably and cost-effectively, normally in phases or sub-assemblies.
- Know your level of precision and your design tolerances.